Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, February 11, 2011

cancel here, extra money there....

As of the 10th, we officially have no more TV entertainment except in forms of dvd's. Only two days and I'm already wishing like crazy that I hadn't had our service cancelled. But, this is all for the greater good.

I've been reading a book called "The Total Money Makover" by Dave Ramsey. It pretty much tells you step by step how to get yourself out of debt and be smart with your money. For the past couple of years I've been telling myself that we are going to get out of debt if it's the last thing I do, and that's it. That's all I have done. I've only made a statement with no gusto behind it. Well, as of this month I've started the "debt snowball" and will have our first credit card payed off next month! Um, I think I'm a bit addicted to this whole getting out of debt thing and I've only begun!

This brings me back to not haveing cable. Vance and I discussed getting rid of it since we didn't mind watching movies and we have Netflix anyways. The money being saved from not having cable and cheeper insurance since we have removed a vehicle, has allowed us to start paying our debts off one by one a lot faster than simply making the minimum payment. Pathetically, the last two days have been boringly hard not haveing cable but completely worth it for the end result. Plus, there's more good that comes out of it than just money. It's amazing what one can do and accomplish without the interuptions of the so called "boob tube". I pay more attention to my kids, my kids pay more attention to me, the hubbs pays more attenion to his wife. It's all good. And YES, you can live without TV. Can you believe it?!

This book has been a wonderful read and very educational and I recommend it to everyone who wishes they had a little extra money. Just remember, you have to "live like no one else so you can live like no one else." Do ya get it?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

love it heather. i, too, somedays wish that we hadn't cancelled but when i saw my new bill i smiled. we can have cable again someday but paying things off is so much more rewarding!!!

Missy said...

good for you! my dh has not budged when it comes to the cable...not yet atleast. He has been reading the same book and we started our budget this month. It's nice to feel more in control of where your money is going, and making it work for you too!

Nettie said...

I wanna try!

Lorel said...

Aren't you glad that you brother geve you that book. I am loving doing the same thing. I am proud of you and Vance fo your dedication to your little family and your future. Gazelle girl, Gazelle. You can do it.