Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 11, 2010

And so it began...(a story in pictures)

6:30 am - arrived at the hospital where we waited an hour and half in the cafeteria with my folks and Gemma.

8:00 am - went back into triage, put the gown on, got hooked up to an IV, and waited again until surgery.

10:00 am - Vance dressed for surgery, wheeled into surgery room, stuck in the spine with a big niddle, waited for the drug to take effect, surgery began....

10:33 am - a FLOOD of liquid later, Vance Gabriel Smith was born weighing 7lbs 15oz and 20in long and looking very blue.

I got one quick peek at him and he was off to the NICU.

After I was stitched and cleaned up, the nurse wheeled me, bed and all, down to see my sweet boy.

Vance really wasn't doing to well. His poor heart was working to hard and he had fluid in his lungs that was making it hard to breath.

Not much could be done with his heart since doctors still though it was just a VSD and double outlet. (something they said could be taken care of within a few months) But nurses would come and pat his back to help break up the fluid. They also used a CPAP on his nose to blow puffs of air into his lungs.

Poor guy wasn't eating either. He would just throw it up. They put a small tube down his throught for any fluid to have a place to go so he wouldn't choke.

We noticed that Vance's feet up to his knees was still looking blue. My mom mentioned it to his cardiologist which prompted him to look at another part of his heart. Much to his surprise, there was yet another defect that needed immediate attention. They call it Hypoplastic aortic arch in which his aortic arch was starting to narrow and close. The doctor also noticed that his pulmonary artery was to large. Later that Sunday evening, an ambulance came and picked up Vance to be transferred to UMC which is one of the BEST places to be for heart surgery.

Vance's cardiologist and his surgen over the next 2 days planned out his surgery while I was still over at TMC recovering.

Monday afternoon I got a call to my room from a nurse over at UMC telling me that surgery had been scheduled at 1pm Tuesday afternoon and that I should do what I can to be discharged so I could be there for Vance's surgery.
So that's what I did. I was discharged Tuesday and made it over to UMC around 12:40 pm.

I was able to hold and love on Vance before they took him off to surgery.

And he was off...

4 hours later...............
It was a SUCCESS! The surgeon made a horizontal incision under Vance's left arm and performed, what I think, a remarkable gift. It sure broke my heart to see him hooked up to so many tubes and wires but I am so grateful for this day in age.

Recovery was 8 days long and during this time, our social worker put us into the Ronald Mcdonald House so we could be close by. This place was so WONDERFUL! It was like staying in a very nice hotel where volunteers came in and fed us. There was cable, interent, and TOYS!! Gemma enjoyed herself.

Finally, after a grand total of 13 days of being in hospitals (TMC & UMC), Vance was discharged on Wednesday 6-9-10. It was such a wonderful day to be able to head home and start life.

Now, Vance still has one more heart surgery due within the next 2 to 6 month to fix his VSD and double outlet and when I think about it it breaks my heart all over again knowing that he has to go through this all over again. I thank everyone for your prayers! Heavenly Father sure does hear and answer them!! My heart is full.

13 comments:

Ashlee G. said...

He's so cute! I'm glad that he is doing well.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful baby.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful baby.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful baby.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful baby.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful baby. Truly blessed.

Unknown said...

HaHa. That wasn't me. It was Janai. Our internet wasn't working very well and she kept hitting the "publish your comment button."

But I will second her words. Beautiful, precious baby. Love you all.

mom

Amy J said...

Oh Heather. That made my cry! How scary and sad for you and your family to have to go through that. I am so glad everything is looking up. You have a beautiful family!

Traci said...

SO glad things went well!! Hope things continue to go well! He is SO cute!

Gretchen Willmore said...

I'm so glad that first surgery went well. You have such a beautiful boy and he looks so healthy in his little car seat. We'll keep on praying for your family!

Joanna Brimhall said...

He is gorgeous! I am so incredibly happy that everything went well. I love the pictures of him and your cute little family. You are in our hearts and I can't wait to meet little vance!

Lorel said...

He is such a beautiful little boy who has the best mommy. I am so glad that I was blessed enough to be able to spend time with Heather and her little family.

You are my hero sis!! Your faith and strength through all of this was amazing and I am so proud of you. Heavenly Father loves you there is no doubt.

Can't wait to see you again in about 2 and a half weeks and then may the party begin. Road trips to the doctor's appointments will be a fun thing too.

Unknown said...

i'm so glad the surgery went well.. breaks my heart to see him with all those tubes.. e only had iv's and i was a wreck!... vance is a little cutie!